Active Play Park Program – inspiring spontaneous play!
Active Play is a FREE, drop-in and recreation-based program using public outdoor space to inspire spontaneous play between any number of children at one time. The role of our leaders is to observe participants while facilitating and encouraging spontaneous play. Leaders will not provide child care services.
Our Active Play leaders will visit a different playground each afternoon from Monday to Friday. They will encourage your child to have fun and make new friends!
Please ensure you read all of the following information before participating in our program. Each session is largely weather-dependent and can be cancelled without notice. Please check our website for any changes or last minute updates. Access to restrooms will be provided at every location.
|Jul 2-5||Mon-Fri||1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.||J.C. Mackie Park||Westgate|
|Jul 8-12||Mon-Fri||1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.||Gabriel Mason Park||Country Side South|
|Jul 15-19||Mon-Fri||1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.||Allan Hauger Park||Crystal Heights|
|Jul 22-26||Mon-Fri||1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.||Henderson Park||Patterson|
|Jul 29-Aug 2||Mon-Fri||1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.||Mike Fedyna Park||Hillside|
|Aug 6-9||Mon-Fri||1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.||J.B. Oliver Park||Country Side South|
|Aug 12-16||Mon-Fri||1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.||Veterans Park||Swanavon|
|Aug 19-23||Mon-Fri||1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.||Head and Salmond Family Park||Royal Oaks|
Visit https://map.gpgis.com/MyGPParks for an interactive map of all of the parks in Grande Prairie!
As Active Play is outdoors, we suggest that participants bring the following items in a backpack:
- water bottle
- appropriate outdoor clothing (hat / jacket)
- sunscreen and/or bug spray (optional)
- We do not advise bringing any valuables. The City of Grande Prairie is not responsible for any lost or stolen items, so valuable items should be left at home.
- Active Play is drop-in and recreation-based. We use public outdoor space to inspire spontaneous play between any number of children at one time. The role of our leaders is to observe participants while facilitating and encouraging spontaneous play – not to provide child care. Staff are chosen based on experience and ability and are certified in Standard First Aid and CPR. The City of Grande Prairie is not responsible for any incidents which may occur during Active Play.
- Active Play leaders are on site at scheduled parks throughout the City from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. Outside of these hours, parents will assume supervision as there will be no leaders on site.
- Active Play is held outdoors in community green-spaces and parks and is largely dependent on the weather. In the event of inclement weather, Active Play may be cancelled for that day with little or no warning. Parents are responsible for ensuring the program is running before dropping off their child. To check if a session is running, please check this page for updates.
- We believe that a safe and inviting environment is essential for optimum social, emotional, intellectual and physical growth. With this comes responsibility towards self, others, the environment and the community. Within Active Play, only appropriate behaviour is accepted. Participants are expected to be respectful, cooperative, involved and positive. We reserve the right to refuse service at any time.